Mashed Cauliflower with Seitan (No Added Fat)
- Florets from a head of cauliflower with bigger florets cut down (about 6 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1T nutritional yeast
- Small shallot
- 8 ounces of seitan cut into 5/8" pieces
- Between 1/8 and 1/4 cup dill pickle, cut into 1/4" cubes
- I put the cauliflower, garlic, water, and bouillon cube into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 4m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then opened the pot.
- I began, using a potato masher, to mash the cauliflower. I would have succeeded but only after more effort than I had expected, so I transferred the cauliflower to a blender.
- I added the garlic powder and nutritional yeast, as well as the peeled but not cut shallot, and pulse blended on low-medium for maybe 15 seconds to get a mostly creamy but still slightly chunky consistency.
- I mixed in, by hand, the seitan. I thought that I would be done and sampled, but the dish needed something else - I came up with the idea of using dill pickle, thinking as well about a potato salad that might include dill pickle. That did the trick!