Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Seminole Pumpkin with Red Beans (No Added Fat)

Last week at a local farmers' market, I picked up a "seminole squash" which seems to more commonly be called a seminole pumpkin. Since February 2015, I have enjoyed the great ease of cooking squash as my friend Lani Muelrath describes by just cooking, intact, with steam in my Instant Pot pressure cooker for 8 minutes.

I thought that I'd make a red bean and squash dish. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 2 cups red beans, rinsed, soaked overnight, and rinsed again
  • Just enough water to cover the beans
  • 2 medium seminole pumpkins (or other winter squash)
  • 3/4 cup more water
  • 1/2 cup onion cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1 t ground cumin
  • (optional) 1 t black sesame seed
Process
  1. I was out but had my wife get the beans going by putting them, along with the water to just cover them, into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and pressing the "Bean" button to cook for 30m.
  2. In the meantime, I used my second Instant Pot and pressure steamed, for 8 minutes, the two intact pumpkins. I also got some Madagascar Pink Rice going stovetop (in a 1 part to 1 3/4 part water ratio, simmered for 20m with a vegan bouillon cube and a bit of salt).
  3. After each of the pressure cookers was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure.
  4. I cut the two pumpkins in half and, after a few minutes when I could hold them, I used a tablespoon to remove the seeds. The pumpkin was fairly soft, so I scooped out approximately tablespoon sized pieces, composting both the seeds and skin.
  5. I mixed the pumpkin pieces with the beans, salt, cumin, and sesame seed.
Results

We all enjoyed dinner. The main course was better than I was expecting - it was tasty and filling.

Ideas for the future

I had considered adding a bit of lemon juice and maybe turmeric to the main course but it really was good as it was. I should do more cooking with beans and cooked vegetables.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home