Sunday, August 07, 2016

Chickpeas with Quinoa, Grilled Figs with Massaged Kale (No Added Fat)

I wondered what it would be like cooking chickpeas with quinoa. We are getting a lot of figs from our tree; perhaps I'll make a main course fig dish this week, but did make a side dish tonight.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups dry chickpeas rinsed, soaked overnight (or, as in my case, soaked with initially boiling water for 3 hours or so), and rinsed again
  • 1/2 cup (uncooked) quinoa (I used one that was a mix
  • 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped to approx. 1/8"-1/4" pieces
  • 1T ginger, finely (1/8") chopped
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
  • (optional) 1/4 t black sesame seeds
  • 1/8 t turmeric
  • 1/8 t lemon pepper (or fresh ground black pepper)
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • Enough water (one and a half cups by my measure) to just cover the chickpeas
  • 1/2 cups onion cut into 1/4" or so cubes ( maybe 1/6 of a medium onion)
  • 1T lemon juice (I used Meyer lemon)
  • 1/2 t salt (or to taste)
Process
  1. I put the chickpeas, quinoa, garlic, ginger, spices, bouillon cube, and water into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 25m (soaked chickpeas cook in 20-25m).
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the lemon juice, salt, and onion.
I also grilled some fig halves that my wife and daughter a half hour earlier had picked from our big fig tree. I served the figs atop some massaged kale and lemon juice, and topped with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of salt; my wife and I also got a tiny bit of jerk seasoning.

Results

Dinner was very good! We all liked the chickpeas. I had forgotten to adjust the water for the addition of the quinoa, but it turned out to be just right with all the liquid absorbed, though a little more liquid could have been nice. I'm so happy that I can cook quinoa with chickpeas. The grilled figs were tasty, and my wife and I appreciated the bit of hot seasoning.

Ideas for the future

I should experiment with quinoa cooked with other legumes and beans, and should figure out a good formula for how much water is needed. I have some purchased no added fat fig vinaigrette, and perhaps should make a grilled or poached fig dish, and add some of the vinaigrette.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home