Thursday, July 07, 2016

Black Beluga Lentils with Kale and Yellow Beets served with Layered Paratha and Yogurt

I wanted to make a black beluga lentil dish and used the results from when I last cooked with these lentils in May to use a 1:2 ratio of lentils to water (actually, broth - I included a vegan bouillon cube) cooked for 25m. Here is what I came up with.


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup black beluga lentils
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 medium yellow (or red) beet, peeled, top and bottom removed, then cut into approximately 3/8" cubes
  • 2 leaves of kale, stems excepted and hand torn into approximately 3/4" squares (about a compressed cup)
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/8 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 2t lemon juice
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) salt
Process
  1. I put the lentils, beet, kale, bouillon cube, and water into a small stock pot and brought the contents to a boil, then simmered for 25m.
  2. I added the onion, lemon juice, and salt, and served.
I bought some prepared layered parathas (Indian flatbread); each bread had 9.5g of fat, so I won't classify this meal as a no added fat one. I added a dollop of my homemade yogurt.
Results

I loved the beets with lentils. The beets cooked nicely!

Ideas for the future

For some reason, red beets sometimes bother my digestion, but yellow ones don't. I should make more beet dishes, and include the beet greens.

My family has been very happy yogurt and my wife claims it is the best yogurt
with my homemade

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home