Green Lentils with Purple Potato Stew, Brown Rice Noodles (No Added Fat)
chayote squash yesterday and did a little research today about it and how to cook it. I found a nice looking chayote squash and lentils recipe and thought that I'd make something similar. We were going to be out for a few hours, so in the mid-afternoon I got lentils ready (easy - just rinse then put in the pressure cooker with 1 1/2 to 2 times as much water; I also added big chunks of potato) and set the timer to cook. Normally, lentils cook in 15-20 minutes. I thought that I would come home to just finished lentils, add the cubed squash plus big pieces of bell pepper, and cook another 2 or so minutes.
However, when I came home, the lentils and potato tasted great. It was nice and thick, which I wanted. So I decided to skip the squash and work on the dish as it was, except for adding seasoning and lemon juice. Here is what I did.
- 2 cups green lentils
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups purple (or Yukon Gold) potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
- 1/4 t turmeric
- (optional) 1/2 t amchoor (mango powder)
- 3 scallions, finely (1/8") chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 2T lemon juice
- 1/2 t salt
- I put the lentils, water, potato, turmeric, and amchoor powder into my Instant Pot pressure cooker. Lentils take 15-20m; I used 15m as I was going to add squash and cook for a few more minutes.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure. I loved the lentils and decided that the dish was basically done.
- I added the scallions, lemon juice, and salt, then served.