Sunday, June 05, 2016

Black Beans and Pineapple with Brown Rice (No Added Fat)

I wanted to use more pineapple since we bought two on sale yesterday. I also had little time to make dinner, so came up with a simple idea of cooking black beans in my pressure cooker and adding finely chopped pineapple. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight (I didn't soak overnight but had only 3-4 hours, so soaked in initially boiling water)
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • Enough water to just cover beans plus 1/4"
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely diced (1/8")
  • 2 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, finely diced (1/8")
  • 3 cups chopped kale (I used frozen, which was about a 1/2" square cut)
  • 3/4 t salt (or to taste)
  • 1 t lemon pepper (or freshly ground black pepper)
  • (optional) 1/2 t garlic powder
  • (optional) 2 T nutritional yeast
Process
  1. I rinsed the beans again and had my wife put them into my Instant Pot pressure cooker with water to cover plus 1/4"; I forgot to ask her to add a bouillon cube, so just added it at the end. I had my wife have the pressure cooker go for 30m.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the garlic, pineapple, and kale.
  3. To be sure it was nice and hot, I turned the Instant Pot on again in saute mode just for a few minutes, then added the salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast, and served, along with brown rice.
Results

Dinner was better than I expected; we all enjoyed it. My wife and I particularly liked the main course with some hot sauce added at the table, and my daughter asked for some guacamole. I also tried a little guacamole after serving her, and it did make a good combination, reminiscent of a burrito filling.

Ideas for the future

I should make a tropical black bean dish with maybe pineapple and mango. Adding some red onion and, maybe at the table, jalapeno, would be like a warm salsa.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home