Butternut Squash - Canelllini Bean - Spinach Saute (No Added Fat)
For today's dinner, I prepared a main course of butternut squash, beans, and spinach. Here is what I did:
- In the Saladmaster stainless steel saute pan that I use frequently, I added three locally grown purple spring onions cut into quarters then 1 1/4" long slices. I turned the pan on medium high with no added fat or broth or other liquid, and stirred occasionally.
- As the onion cooked, after about 3 minutes I addd a half dozen shiitake mushrooms, halved, and continued stirring periodially.
- I added all of a 16 ounce package of frozen cubed butternut squash about two minutes later, as the mushroom cooked down a bit. I continued to periodically stir.
- As the squash defrosted and warmed up, after maybe 5-6 minutes, I added a cup and a half or so of baby spinach leaves, maybe 6 ounces of canellini beans, and a roasted red bell pepper, cut into 1" lengths and maybe 1/4" widths.
- I like adding onion at different points of a saute to get different mouth feels. I took two scallions, cut into 1" lengths, and added them as well at this point.
- I continued periodically stirring; after about 2 or 3 minutes, the spinach nicely cooked down, and I added a pinch or two of salt, and maybe a quarter teaspoon of dill.