Sunday, July 03, 2016

Pinto Beans and Greens, Corn-off-the-Cob (No Added Fat)

We had a friend of my daughter's over today who is gluten-free. Luckily, most of my cooking is gluten-free. I decided to make some sort of rice and beans dish using pinto beans, but then instead decided to use corn - our coop, Weaver Street Market, has been getting organic corn! Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups pinto beans, rinsed, soaked overnight, then rinsed again (or, as I did, soaked in boiling water for 3 hours or so)
  • Enough water to just cover beans
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely (1/8") minced
  • 6 leaves kale, stems excepted, and roughly 
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 4 scallions cut into 1/4" pieces (about 1/3 cup)
  • 1t lemon juice
  • 1T nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 10 leaves fresh oregano, minced (app. 1/8")
Process
  1. I put the beans, water, garlic, kale, and bouillon cube into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 30m.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the scallions, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, oregano, and salt.
Results

Dinner was good; my daughter's friend had two servings of beans. I've not often used pinto beans in my cooking, but loved how soft and tasty they were today.

Ideas for the future

I should use pinto beans more often.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home