Friday, July 01, 2016

Japanese Sweet Potato with Kale and Corn, Smoked Salt and Pepper Hemp Tempeh (No Added Fat)

Ingredients
  • 3 sweet potatoes (I used my favorite, Japanese variety) cut into approximately thirds
  • 1 cup of water
  • 3/4 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 3 kale leaves, stems excepted, roughly hand torn into approximately 1/2" squares
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels tarragon salt
Process
  1. I put the cup of water into my Instant Pot pressure cooker, then put the sweet potatoes on top of the steamer rack so that the potato wasn't touching the sides. I had meant to do a 16 minute pressure steam, but did a simple 16 minute pressure cook.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure. The sweet potatoes were perfectly done; my goal was to undercook them and complete their cooking with other vegetables.
  3. I put the onion into my large Saladmaster stock pan and cooked on low, stirring occasionally, for 2 or 3 minutes till the onion was getting clear.
  4. I then added the sweet potato, kale and corn and covered, letting it cook waterlessly for 10 minutes.
  5. I served along with sauteed (with no oil) smoked salt and pepper dry rubbed hemp tempeh and salad.
Results

Dinner was great! I loved the Japanese sweet potato and actually was reluctant to continue cooking it. I kept the skins on for more nutrition, which also added to the appearance.

Ideas for the future

I need to serve these wonderful sweet potatoes as their own side dish sometime soon. I love the hemp tempeh; if it weren't expensive, I'd buy it more regularly.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home