Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Cannellini Beans with Sea Beans, Bhutanese Red Rice, Massaged Kale Salad (No Added Fat)

I was happy to find sea beans in the store a few days ago; I've not had them in a long time. A sign there suggested blanching them to reduce their salt content, and I thought that they would pair nicely with a white bean (so the green of the beans would show nicely), so decided to soak cannellini beans and use them. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans, rinsed and soaked for 5 hours or more, then rinsed again
  • Enough water to just cover beans
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1 cup onion cut into 1/4" cubes (maybe 1/2 of a medium onion)
  • 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • (optional) 2T nutritional yeast
  • 1t dried oregano
  • 1T lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups sea beans
  • At least 2 or 2 1/2 cups ice water
Process
  1. I put the beans with enough water to just cover them and bouillon cube into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 30m.
  2. While the beans were cooking, I prepared the sea beans
    1. I boiled the sea beans for 1 1/2 minutes till they turned bright green
    2. I then suddenly drained and plunged them into the ice water
    3. I left them sitting in the water till I was ready for them
  3. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then ....
  4. When I was ready to serve, I opened the pot slowly, and added the onion, tomato, nutritional yeast, oregano, and lemon juice.
I also made Bhutanese Red rice by simmering it in a ratio of 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water, a little salt, and a vegan bouillon cube. I served the main course with the rice and a simple massaged kale salad.

Results

Dinner was good! We all enjoyed it. The blanching did remove a little bit of the saltiness of the sea beans. I was happy with the nutrition, taste, texture, and appearance of the meal.

Ideas for the future

A little garlic would have been nice, and I could have used more lemon. My wife and I added hot sauce at the table.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home