Thursday, September 01, 2016

Waterless Hemp Tofu with Kale and Carrot

Living Harvest "Tempt" brand non-soy hemp-based tofu was on sale today. I picked up an 8 ounce package of Chimichurri hemp tofu; my daughter and I enjoy tofu but my wife has difficulty digesting uncultured soy. We tried this in February 2014, when I made a simple saute. I decided to try cooking this tofu waterlessly with kale and carrots. (I was surprised that the tofu is 12g of fat per 4 ounce serving; for the three of us, we each got about 8g of fat from the tofu, so I'll list this as an almost no added fat dish, but it could easily be no added fat with conventional tofu.)


Ingredients
  • 1 cup onion cut into approx. 1/4" x 1 1/4" half moons
  • 2 medium carrots cut into 3/8" lengths (just over a cup)
  • 8 ounces tofu cut into 3/4" cubes
  • 2 compressed cups kale, stems excepted and cut into approximately 1" squares
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/4 t garlic powder

Process
  1. I put, in order, the onion, carrot, tofu, and kale into a lightly warmed (on medium heat) large Saladmaster stock pan
  2. I covered the pan and cooked on medium high till the vapor release lock started rattling, then I turned the heat down to low to minimize or stop the rattling
  3. I cooked for 15m or so then mixed in the seasonings and served with bagel halves topped with warm marinara and nutritional yeast.
Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home