Sunday, September 11, 2016

Peruvian Giant Lima Beans with Cauliflower and Broccoli Florets (No Added Fat)

I was thinking of cooking Peruvian giant lima beans with cauliflower. Cauliflower very quickly softens into nice creaminess after just a minute or two of pressure cooking, and my original idea was to cook half of the florets from a head of cauliflower along with the beans for a creamy base, then add the rest at the end, letting them cook just a bit in the heat of the rest of the ingredients. While preparing for the meal, I found that I had some broccoli that needed to be used up, so switched to using broccoli instead for the lightly cooked cauliflower portion, with the benefit of the contrasting color. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 2 cups Peruvian giant lima beans, rinsed, soaked for 6 hours, and rinsed again
  • Enough water to just cover the beans
  • Half of a medium head cauliflower cut into florets (approx. 3 cups)
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely diced (1/8" or so)
  • 1/2 cup broccoli florets
  • Medium bell pepper (I used a yellow one but any color would be fine) cut into approximately 3/8" cubes (a bit more than 3/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup onion cut into approximately 3/8" cubes
  • 1T lime juice
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/2 t lemon pepper
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
Process
  1. I put the beans and water, along with the cauliflower florets, bouillon cube, and garlic, into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 28m.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the broccoli, bell pepper, onion, lime juice, and seasonings.
  3. I served along with Jade Pearl rice (simmered for 20m in a 1 part rice to 1 1/2 part water radio and along with a vegan bouillon cube and pinch of salt) and tomato.
Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home