Monday, September 19, 2016

Sprouted Black-Eyed Peas with Cauliflower (No Added Fat)

My wife had soaked some black-eyed peas last week and they had mostly sprouted. I was thinking of making a simple saute with onions, black-eyed peas, and cherry tomatoes, but couldn't resist the ease and lack of supervision needed with cooking with my Instant Pot under pressure. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • About 3 cups of sprouted black-eyed peas (rinsed, soaked, and refrigerated for a few days till sprouted)
  • 3/4 cup cauliflower florets
  • 1/2 cup carrot cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely (1/8") diced
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1T lemon or lime juice
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/2 t lemon pepper
  • 1/2 t black sesame seed
Process
  1. I put all the ingredients except the lemon juice and seasoning into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 2 minutes.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the lemon juice, turmeric, salt, lemon pepper, and sesame seed. I served with brown rice.
Results

Dinner came out great - we all loved it. It surpassed my expectations! I figured that the idea of cooked sprouted black-eyed peas would be good. It was seasoned just right with a good citrus base. The texture was great and I made the right decision not to include onion, something that I rarely do. In fact, the dish would be fine with garlic omitted, and then suitable for those who avoid onion and garlic.

Ideas for the future

I wouldn't change anything with this dish. It's fast and easy. I would like to cook with sprouted beans more!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home