Split Peas with Vegetables, Jade Pearl Rice (No Added Fat)
first 2016 Presidential debate but my wife wasn't. She and my daughter went out, while I prepared a hearty split pea dinner for myself (and perhaps for lunch for my wife tomorrow) to eat while watching. Here is what I did.
- 1 1/2 cups split peas
- 4 cups (normally split peas cook in a 1:3 ratio for 8-10m, but I wanted this to be thick and not a soup, so I went with less water and an 8-minute cook time to help ensure that there was enough water for cooking) water
- 1 1/4 cups carrot cut into 3/8" slices (3 small-medium carrots)
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1/2" cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1T finely (1/8" or so) diced ginger
- 2 cloves finely (1/8" or so) chopped garlic
- 1/8 t turmeric
- 1/4 t black sesame seed
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1 cup onion cut into 1/4" cubes ( maybe 1/2 of a medium onion)
- 1 cup bell pepper cut into 3/8" cubes
- 1T lemon juice
- 1/4 t (or to taste) salt; I used a combination of Indian kala namak and Himalayan pink salts
- 1/8 t lemon pepper (or freshly ground black pepper)
- I put all of the ingredients except the (italicized) onion, bell pepper, lemon juice, salt, and lemon pepper, into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 8m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the rest of the ingredients.