Monday, September 26, 2016

Split Peas with Vegetables, Jade Pearl Rice (No Added Fat)

I was interested in watching the first 2016 Presidential debate but my wife wasn't. She and my daughter went out, while I prepared a hearty split pea dinner for myself (and perhaps for lunch for my wife tomorrow) to eat while watching. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups split peas
  • 4 cups (normally split peas cook in a 1:3 ratio for 8-10m, but I wanted this to be thick and not a soup, so I went with less water and an 8-minute cook time to help ensure that there was enough water for cooking) water
  • 1 1/4 cups carrot cut into 3/8" slices (3 small-medium carrots)
  • 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1/2" cubes (about 3 cups)
  • 1T finely (1/8" or so) diced ginger
  • 2 cloves finely (1/8" or so) chopped garlic
  • 1/8 t turmeric
  • 1/4 t black sesame seed
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1 cup onion cut into 1/4" cubes ( maybe 1/2 of a medium onion)
  • 1 cup bell pepper cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1T lemon juice
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) salt; I used a combination of Indian kala namak and Himalayan pink salts
  • 1/8 t lemon pepper (or freshly ground black pepper)
Process
  1. I put all of the ingredients except the (italicized) onion, bell pepper, lemon juice, salt, and lemon pepper, into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 8m.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the rest of the ingredients.
I served with Jade Pearl rice (cooked in a 1:2 ratio rice:liquid [water and vegan bouillon cube] for 20m, though I could have used less water).
Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home