Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Purslane-Avocado Tacos, Tuscan-Style Beans, O'Brien Potatoes

My wife and I ate separately today; I had my photography class in Morrisville, NC, and she had her Sanskrit class that she is taking in that same town. We're lucky to have my aunt visiting from Connecticut from yesterday afternoon for a few weeks (much of the family will be coming down in the next few weeks for a reunion here), and my wife took her to the Sanskrit class, much to my aunt's delight (she wants to take the class over the phone!). The two of them had dinner after their class at Tower South Indian Restaurant.

I came home and used the purslane that my wife had picked up from the farmer's market in Carrboro, NC on Saturday. I had worked with purslane once before last July in my "masked" days (!); it tastes good both raw and lightly cooked (I plan to try a cooked dish with it tomorrow or Wednesday). I made three tacos stuffed with salsa, purslane, and using up all of a ripe avocado.

I also sauteed briefly some yellow colored beans that are probably a variant of green beans. As they cooked (for a total of just 3-5 minutes on medium heat with a little bit of oil), they turned green. I served the beans Tuscan style with a little lime juice, salt, and pepper. I also cooked some prepared potatoes O'Brien. It was a good meal!



Yesterday, a friend invited us to his birthday party. I described the previous day how my wife and I aren't keen on Chinese food; we both ordered Thai dishes, but neither was very happy. I just don't like sauces or seasonings I run into with a decided Chinese twist; my wheat gluten dish had a heavy brown sauce that I didn't like. My wife's moo shu vegetables had coconut milk, which I like, but I still wasn't delighted with the sample that I tried.

After dinner, I caught the end of the ADF musician's concert, then saw (on my own as my wife stayed on at the party) Before the Rains, a colonial story set in Kerala that I was a bit underwhelmed by. Tomorrow, I'm giving a talk on veganism at a church and my wife is teaching sitar; we may eat early or may eat with my aunt at my parents' home.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 24, 12:43:00 PM EDT, Blogger Alicia said...

Sorry to hear about your thai dishes, but the tacos made for it!

 
At Tue Jun 24, 01:10:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Alice (in veganland), for your kind comment! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home