Thursday, June 12, 2008

Potatoes with Vegan Sausage, Jerk Okra

My wife had boiled some Russet potatoes for lunch, and I found a cooked potato and a half that she hadn't used. I had the idea of making a hearty country style dish. I cut the potato into large chunks and began sauteeing over medium-high heat for maybe 6 minutes, adding half of an onion that I had coarsely chopped after the first two or so minutes.

As the potato very gently browned, I added two artisanal Field Roast Grain Meat Company vegan apple-sage sausages that I had cut into eighths and then half by width. After another 4 or 5 minutes, I added maybe a tablespoon of fresh rosemary needles, and a few minutes later I added a little salt, paprika, and dill. I then mixed and served.

I also made an okra dish. I steamed about a dozen okras for just 3 or 4 minutes; steaming before sauteeing helps the okra be less viscous and sticky. I then cut the tops off the okra and divided them into thirds or halves and started sauteeing them with the other half of the onion, cut into 1/4" to 1/2" cubes. It only took 4 or 5 minutes till the okra was reasonably cooked; I then mixed in fresh oregano from my garden and some jerk seasoning. It was a good dinner!

3 Comments:

At Fri Jun 13, 04:47:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mallika said...

Hi Dilip - my first time here. What a lovely blog!

 
At Fri Jun 13, 12:42:00 PM EDT, Blogger Erin said...

Jerk okra sounds amazing, good idea!

 
At Fri Jun 13, 01:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Hi, erin and mallika - thanks, both, for your comments. The okra was good! mallika, welcome to my blog - I hope that you'll become a regular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home