Saturday, May 31, 2008

Spicy Braising Greens, Leftover Khichri with Lime Pickle, Corn off the Cob

A few days ago, my wife made khichri, a common South Asian dish of lentils and rice. I reheated her leftovers and served topped with lime pickle.

I also made some braising greens. I started probably with too much onion - I used my new onion chopper to finely chop a medium onion and started the onion sauteeing in tangerine olive oil over medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes (if I weren't going to use my new chopper, I would have preferred a half onion cut into half moons for the texture). Then I added the mixed greens and a little salt, and cooked the greens down for another 4 or 5 minutes. Then I mixed in a single serve packet of green chile from 505 Southwestern, a little red chile powder for good measure, and maybe 1/2 teaspoonful of tarragon.

Yesterday was the last class of my six-week photography series - I actually have a new series beginning next Thursday (and another new one on Wednesdays in another town). A group of eight of us, including several of my students, my wife, and two friends, dined at one of our favorite Italian restaurants, Cafe Trilussa. The owner-chef of this small restaurant is fun to talk with - he knows what vegan means, so when I go, I give him free reign and tell him a price ($15 per person) and ask him to make what he likes for us to enjoy family-style. We had I think 4 or 5 dishes, including one curried vegetable dish, paella, risotto, salad, and one or two additional items - good!

I won't likely be making any blog entries till early next week. Tomorrow, there is a potluck and talk on Judaism and vegetarianism. My wife's sitar teacher from India is visiting for the weekend and is performing a concert on Sunday; we have food donated for the musicians from Sitar Indian Restaurant, and my wife will probably purchase additional food for us from there. We may be going to a movie on Monday and eating out near the theatre. Best wishes!

2 Comments:

At Wed Jun 04, 08:32:00 AM EDT, Blogger TNL said...

I haven't been here in ages, Dilip.....the dinner looks great, as always. Have you ever tried stir fried cracked wheat with onions? almost like an upma....but much better!! That is my latest food favorite. Do try it. I'll be bacl to read the archives later on!

cheers,trupti
the spice who loved me

 
At Sat Jun 07, 04:02:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Hi, Trupti! How have you been? Thanks for your comment; I love your idea and would like to try it! Best wishes! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home