Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Strozzapreti Pasta with Spinach, Bell Pepper, and Chive, Apple-Sage Vegan Sausage

There are a number of theories why strozzapreti pasta is named as a "priest choker" pasta, such as that priests in Italy would gorge themselves on these rolled towel shaped pasta pieces and choke. Be that as it may, I prepared a simple but good dinner with this pasta.

A friend yesterday gave me chives from her garden, and most of them became an important part of today's meal. I took all but two stalks from a bunch of fresh spinach, washed it well, then roughly hand shred it into fourths or fifths and threw the spinach into a saute pan with some olive oil. After all the spinach was shredded and cooking, I cut up about 2/3 of a yellow bell pepper into 1/4"-1/2" pieces, and added them to the pan. I cooked the spinach down for maybe 4 or 5 minutes, then added about a half dozen chives, cut into inch-long pieces, and cooked for maybe two more minutes.

I served the spinach mixture, after adding a little salt, and maybe a tablespoon of Eat in the Raw's Parma! vegan "Parmesan cheese", atop the pasta. I also served some apple-sage vegan sausage (on sale right now, along with their field roast).

Yesterday, dinner was disappointing. I enjoyed a bike ride with a friend, and my wife met us afterwards. We were going to enjoy some South Indian dosas (crepes) then go to see an intriguing-sounding film, Mio fratello è figlio unico (My Brother is an Only Child), about two brothers in 1960s and 1970s Italy who grow up with one becoming a communist and the other radically opposite, a fascist. Alas, the Indian restaurant was closed and we found ourselves with very little time before the film.

We found a taquería - normally my wife hasn't found a liking to Mexican food and would pass, but we thought she could get at least a salad. We were surprised to find that the staff didn't speak English, so communicated our vegan (no, they don't cook with lard) needs and made our order by calling our friend who gave us the chives and who can speak Spanish, and having her be the go-between for our order. I had some tacos, which were okay - but my wife didn't at all care for her tacos.

She and I may be on our own tomorrow for dinner. I am meeting a potential client to discuss her wedding photography needs, then going on to interview somebody for Servas, a world peace group that I am the state coordinator for. My wife has said that she'll make do with leftovers or will make something, and I will either eat late or eat something in between appointments.

4 Comments:

At Wed May 28, 08:23:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered why they called them "strozzapreti"! Thanks for sharing =D

 
At Wed May 28, 02:31:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

You're welcome, Romina, and thank you for your comment. If you follow my link from the name "strozzapreti", you can read more about its name. Best wishes!

Dilip

 
At Wed May 28, 04:16:00 PM EDT, Blogger Alicia said...

I absolutely hate it when the restaurant I'm going is closed. Hate it hate it...
Strozzapreti is such a weird name! it looks great though

 
At Wed May 28, 04:23:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Alice, for your comment (and sympathy!). Did you get back safely to Deutschland? Drop me a note when you get a chance as I have some questions about Germany and veganism for you. Best wishes! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home