Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tamales, Oyster Mushrooms, Fresh Peas and Carrots

As I described this past March, I love tamales (and should learn how to make them!), and am happy that 3 Hot Tamales, run by two vegetarian sisters and their Mom, sells frozen tamales. I recently purchased a box of their Burger Style Red Chili tamales, and today made them just by steaming them for 22-25 minutes. I served them with some warmed salsa on the side.

I found some very nice slender baby French carrots today, and thought of making a jazzed up version of peas and carrots. I steamed several (four, as I recall?) carrots for 2 or 3 minutes, then sliced them and mixed in fresh English peas, a little olive oil, salt, and tarragon.

Finally, I did a simple but very tasty saute of coarsely chopped oyster mushrooms with long, thin slices of a shallot. I mixed in salt and black pepper and served it that simply. We enjoyed everything! (My wife particularly liked the still slightly firm heirloom green zebra tomato.)

2 Comments:

At Fri Jun 13, 12:40:00 PM EDT, Blogger Erin said...

I would definitely buy a box of tamales if given the opportunity. This looks like a great meal!

 
At Fri Jun 13, 01:25:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

It was good! I'm so happy that these vegan tamales are available. They're a bit expensive (around $5.50 I think for a box of 3?), but very good. There used to be another tamale company (Hot Tamale?) that I think went out of business, alas. Thanks for your comment, erin! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home