Sunday, July 22, 2007

Garden Herb Sunshine Burger with Pesto Sauce on Lemon Rosemary Sourdough, Lacinato Kale with Greens, Lemon Cucumber

My wife shopped at the Carrboro Farmer's Market this morning and brought home a number of welcome items! One item was a green that I saw the previous weekend but whose name (starts with a "p"?) I've forgotten; it can be eaten raw or cooked, and consists of little few inches long segmented stems with leaves. She also brought home something I'd never heard of, lemon cucumbers! She brought two varieties, one yellow splotched, and one white; I took pictures!



For dinner (my wife took a picture of me in my mask!), I chopped a small red onion into 1/4" cubes and started sauteeing over medium heat. A minute or two later, I began adding lacinato kale as I hand shredded to about one inch pieces, composting the fibrous stems. It only took a few minutes for the kale to soften and cook down a little; I then added a handful or so of the green whose name I can't recall and, a minute or so later, a few teaspoons of cumin seeds, two pinches of turmeric, and a little salt. Another minute and I served it.

Weaver Street Market makes this delicious lemon rosemary sourdough bread on weekends only and I had such great memories of the "pizza" that I had made with it last weekend, that I was tempted to try a variant again. Instead, I grilled a Garden Herb Organic Sunshine Burger and served it on untoasted bread, with a little pesto and heirloom tomato slices.

Dinner was very good! The lemon cucumber had a nice, mild flavor. I hope that we can find these cucumbers again!

4 Comments:

At Sun Jul 22, 05:50:00 PM EDT, Blogger A woman from India said...

The vegetable is called Purslane.It is a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
And by the way, the dinner was Yummy, as always.
-Dilip's Wife

 
At Sun Jul 22, 05:58:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks!

 
At Mon Jul 23, 06:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger Extended Duvvuri Family said...

Hi Dilip,

I just wanted to mention that the lemon cucumber is a common cucumber used mostly in andhra cooking, my husband has successfully grown them in our garden in CA. Enjoy your blog

Harini

 
At Mon Jul 23, 06:52:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for the comment, Harini. And congratulations on your Mother's turning 70!

I enjoyed the lemon cucumber. I hope that we can easily find it again. I'm glad that you found my blog. Best wishes! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home