Saturday, July 21, 2007

Baby Cabbage and 'Sausage', Garlicky Mashed Potatoes

At the farmer's market last week, a farmer was selling what she called "baby cabbage" - we were having dry weather so rather than let the cabbage wither or be irrigated, she picked them young and tender. I cut open the two baby cabbages that I had purchased, made a "v"-shaped cut to remove the core, and sliced the cabbages into strips. I cut up an artisanal vegan apple-sage sausage by the Field Roast Grain Meat Company and began sauteeing it, along with half-moon slices of red onion. About five minutes into the saute, I added the cabbage. Once the cabbage cooked down a bit, I served it (I had wanted to add caraway seeds to the last few minutes of the cooking, but didn't have any). I didn't think it matched yesterday's meal, but we, particularly my wife, enjoyed dinner before she had to run off to the American Dance Festival (how I wish I could go!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home