Thursday, June 26, 2008

Limed Purslane-Tempeh, Tangerine-Tinged Beans

I wanted to use up the purslane that I had described and eaten raw on Monday. Today, I chopped the purslane into thirds or fourths, stems and leaves, and added it to a saute.

I had thin pieces of tempeh (about 1/3 of an 8-ounce package) as well as half of a Vidalia onion, cut into thin half moons, sauteeing. About 5 minutes into the saute, I added most of a (surprisingly mild) jalapeno pepper, cut into thin slices. A few minutes later, as the tempeh was getting medium-brown, I added the chopped purslane and let it cook down for about 3-4 minutes, then added a teaspoonful or so of fresh oregano leaves. I let it cook just for a minute, then added about a tablespoon and a half of organic Baja Lime Marinade, a little salt, and a little dried parsley.

I also cooked beans with garlic in tangerine olive oil, and served with salt, black pepper, and lime juice. Finally, a garlic bagel with a tasty locally grown tomato rounded out tonight's dinner.

Yesterday, I gave a talk on vegetarianism for a church, and brought my aunt who is visiting from Connecticut. After the talk, we all ate at my Mom and Dad's home; my Mom had made a variety of Indian dishes like okra, dhal (lentil soup), rice, and potatoes. It was good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home