Thursday, November 02, 2006

Portabello Mushroom with Pesto and Grilled Seitan and Onions over Whole Wheat Macaroni

This afternoon, we had the privilege of hosting a Servas traveler visiting us from Taiwan; this young man is interviewing at some excellent schools (like Duke University here in Durham, NC) for MBA programs. He came with me to a photo workshop that I taught, then came home in the evening.

For him, my wife, and myself, I grilled portabello mushroom caps, seitan, and onions. I served these atop whole wheat macaroni, with a small dollop of pesto. I also grilled corn and made a salad, including buckwheat lettuce, something I've not known about before. Sprouted buckwheat, I found it in the store today - it tasted good and, according to the carton, is fairly nutritive.

I thought that dinner was good, but couldn't believe the praise that our visitor heaped on it. He claimed that this was the best meal he had ever had in the United States - and he has visited a number of times. I'm glad that he enjoyed it!

5 Comments:

At Thu Nov 02, 07:13:00 PM EST, Blogger bazu said...

That mushroom looks wonderful. I too have a basil plant that I've been experimenting making pestos with. Don't you just love pesto? I've tried them with walnuts, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sun-dried tomatoes, and cilantro. It freezes well.

 
At Thu Nov 02, 11:41:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks - I do love pesto. I wonder why cheese is so prevalent in pesto - the garlic and basil are so strongly flavored, anyway. How does pesto turn out when made with pumpkin seeds?

 
At Sun Nov 05, 06:37:00 PM EST, Blogger bazu said...

hey Dilip,
I'd say the pesto with pumpkin seeds was really good. You couldn't really taste them, though, but they added a nice background.
You are right- this is one place where cheese is not necessary!

 
At Thu Nov 09, 07:35:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if your visitor think that this was the best meal he had ever had in the United States that most be truly good! great work!

 
At Thu Nov 09, 02:27:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Johanna3!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home