Monday, October 23, 2006

An Autumn Poem

Today I experimented with a green that I purchased this past weekend at the local farmer's market. Known as Autumn Poem, it is an Asian green whose stalks, relatively insignificant leaves, and yellow flowers can all be eaten. I read that it can be cooked down about 15 minutes till soft.

I sauteed some slivered onions in hot pepper sesame oil, then added coarsely chopped stalks of Autumn Poem, maybe an inch long. I put some salt in, stirred, reduced the heat, and simmered for about 10 minutes. Then I added, coarsely chopped, the tender leaves and flowers, and cooked for another 5 minutes or so. I added some vinegar-based hot sauce and served. I also served grilled corn-off-the-cob with fresh lemon juice and non-dairy margarine and salt, and roasted tomatoes on toasted potato-onion-rosemary bread.

When I was almost done cooking (too late!), I came up with the idea of including chunks of tempeh with the greens. I have leftovers, so may do this later this week. The greens tasted interesting, but I don't think they will become a favorite of mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home