Sunday, October 01, 2006

Seitan with Mushrooms and Roasted Tomatoes over Wild Rice

I bought some roasted tomatoes last week and loved them - why haven't I been cooking with them and perhaps roasting them myself? They are great on crusty bread, maybe with an olive, for a quick snack.

Tonight, I sauteed red and yellow onions; when they were starting to turn clear, I added medium-sized chunks of seitan and shredded basil leaves and rosemary stalks from my garden (the rosemary contributed flavor, but I didn't serve the cooked stalks; rather, I put fresh rosemary as a garnish and then at the table separated the small stalk's leaves, eating them with the main course). After about 7-10 minutes, with the seitan lightly browned, I added the roasted tomatoes and cooked them for just a few minutes. I served this main course to the side of wild rice, which I had cooked in vegetable broth. It came out well - I'll experiment with using roasted tomatoes more in my cooking.

Last night, we had a vegetarian society potluck dinner. I ran out of time, so picked up some roasted tomatoes, hummus, one more dip, and a large loaf of sourdough bread that the store cut into chunks. On Friday night, I was representing my alma mater Johns Hopkins University at a college fair at the NC School of Science and Math, and then attending a Sufi concert; there was just enough time to go out and enjoy a quick meal at Sage Vegetarian Restaurant in Chapel Hill. I ordered my usual, tempeh in a pomegranate reduction served over brown rice; my wife had an eggplant dish, also over brown rice. There are leftovers, so you will see these appear in the next day or two! (Probably the best dish at the potluck was a similar pomegranate reduction but using seitan and not tempeh; I should try making something like this!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home