Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Grilled Eggplant with Vegan Feta and Bell Pepper over Whole Wheat Couscous

Tonight I made a fast dinner that I think came out well. I grilled medium-thin slices of organic Japanese eggplant, and I also grilled thickly sliced cloves of garlic.

I don't normally buy vegan "cheese", but Sunergia Soyfoods now makes an organic vegan "feta cheese" that I found today; I bought the tomato and garlic flavor. The feta tasted decent and it had a strong fragrance, different from that of feta but reminiscent of it. I served the feta with the dish atop whole wheat couscous, as well as very briefly grilled bell pepper slices. I topped the dish with a little bit of tahini and a few drops of a vinegar-based hot sauce. I also served toasted baguette with lemon olive oil, heirloom tomatoes, and baby red carrots.

I have missed cooking! Last Thursday, we developed a problem in our kitchen which got resolved today. On Thursday we at at Whole Foods on our way to see a film. My parents had us over on Friday for my Mom's yummy homemade thin-crust pizza. We went to Charlotte, about 2 1/2 hours away, on Saturday to attend a classical Indian sitar concert, and ate at one of our favorite Ethiopian restaurants, Meskerem. On Sunday, we attended the Carrboro Music Festival and ate at The Spotted Dog; they have some good tempeh dishes. Finally, we were back at my parents' yesterday for Indian food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home