Sunday, October 15, 2017

Seitan with Oyster Mushrooms, Roasted Bell Pepper, and Shishito Peppers (No Added Fat)

Yesterday we bought of yummy items from the Carrboro, NC Farmers' Market, including fresh bell peppers. They have a wonderful deal that if you buy at least two pounds of any kind of peppers, they will fire roast the peppers right there for you, which is what we did. These roasted peppers are so good, and as they cooled in the plastic bags that they put them in, some liquid accumulated, which I ended up using in today's meal. I also got great oyster mushrooms, baby ginger, a new variety (to me) of heirloom apple, baby bok choy, watermelon radish, Sugar Baby watermelon, elephant and regular garlic, white kale, and more. I used a lot of the ingredients in today's meal.


Ingredients
  • 1 clove elephant garlic, chopped into pieces slightly smaller than 1/4" (alternate: 2 cloves regular garlic finely chopped to about 1/8")
  • 2-3 handfuls of oyster mushrooms, tough ends removed, then hand torn into maybe 1" lengths (alternate: other mushrooms can work, such as shiitake or button)
  • 8 ounces of seitan cut into maybe 3/4" cubes or strips up to maybe 1", as desired
  • 1T baby ginger (or 1t regular ginger) finely (1/8") diced
  • (optional) 2T liquid leftover from roasting a bell pepper
  • Dozen or so shishito peppers, rinsed and dried
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 2 cups onion cut into half moon slices approx. 1/4" x 1 1/4" ( maybe 2/3 of a medium onion)
  • 1 1/4 cups carrot cut into 3/8" slices (3 small-medium carrots)
Process
  1. I put the garlic into a skillet and, without oil, sauteed on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes to get a nice bouquet
  2. I then added the mushroom and cooked for another 4-5 minutes till the volume of mushroom was reduced to about 1/3 of the original
  3. I then added the seitan and ginger and continued cooking, reducing the heat to medium-low, and stirring occasionally for another 3-4 minutes
  4. I added the pepper liquid and scraped with the spatula, which served both to add flavor and clean up the little bit of sticking I had in my skillet
  5. In parallel, I had cooked the shishito peppers by putting them on a cast iron skillet with no oil and once in a while stirring till the peppers were mostly charred
  6. I let the shishito peppers cool down a little so I could handle them, then cut off the stems and tossed them into the seitan dish
I also made some quinoa with corn and served some slices of watermelon radish (sungold tomatoes instead for my daughter).

Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home