Friday, October 13, 2017

Chickpea with Waterless Sweet Potato (No Added Fat)

I wanted to make a chickpea dish so soaked some chickpeas. I loved the waterless sweet potato I had recently made and hoped I'd cook sweet potato this way again soon. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, rinsed, soaked overnight (or, in my case, for about 5 hours in initially boiling water) and rinsed again
  • Just enough water to cover chickpeas
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 2 cloves garlic, fnely (approx. 1/8") diced
  • 2 stalks green onion, cut into approx. 1/2" lengths
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into approx. 3/8" cubes (I used a Japanese sweet potato and a locally grown orange one)
  • Half dozen shiitake mushrooms, cut into approx. 3/8" widths
  • 1/4 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1t fresh lemon or lime juice
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
  • 1/2 t salt
Process
  1. I put the chickpeas, water, bouillon cube, and garlic into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 20m (unsoaked take 35-40 and soaked take 10-15 minutes, but I wanted them nice and soft).
  2. While it was cooking, I did a waterless cook of the sweet potatoes. I put, in this order, the green onion, sweet potato, and mushroom into a small Saladmaster stock pan. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 20 minutes.
  3. When I was ready to serve, I carefully let out remaining pressure from the chickpeas, mixed in the sweet potatoes, as well as the onion, lemon juice, turmeric, cumin, and salt.
I also served Farmhouse Culture brand "garlic dill pickle" fermented vegetables (cabbage, water, salt, cucumber, dill, garlic), as well as Black Spanish Radish (it was spicy). 
Results

Dinner was good! I was given the local sweet potato by somebody at the venue where I teach on Sundays who said that she had grown it and just picked it - it was surprisingly tender and easy to cut. The sweet potato and chickpea combination was surprisingly consonant and tasty, and I loved the texture.

Ideas for the future

Waterless sweet potato is so good! I should continue to explore good combinations with chickpeas.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home