Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Edamame and Kale, Fermented "Garlic Dill Pickle" Vegetables, Corn with Anaheim Pepper (No Added Fat)

I found fermented vegetables from Farmhouse Culture brand on sale at the store today, and purchased "garlic dill pickle" fermented vegetables (cabbage, water, salt, cucumber, dill, garlic). The corn yesterday was such a hit that I made something similar today using an Anaheim pepper and sale priced leek. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 3T leek (or onion) cut into 3/8" squares
  • 1T fennel cut into 1/4" pieces
  • 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
  • 1 cup kale (I used chopped frozen; if fresh, roughly hand tear into approximately 1/2" pieces)
  • 1/4 cup marinara sauce
  • 1/4 t salt
Process
  1. I put, in this order, the leek, fennel, edamame, and kale into a small Saladmaster stock pan. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 20 minutes.
  2. I added the sauce, mixed, and covered the pan again, letting it cook for another 5-7 minutes or so.
  3. I mixed in the salt and served.
I also served the fermented vegetables with some small, tasty, cherry tomatoes, as well as corn. I heated frozen corn like I did yesterday by putting it in a bowl atop a steamer rack with about 1/4 cup of water in the Instant Pot pot, and then pressure steaming for 1 minute (I used a deep bowl with a lot of corn, and some was still cool, so I cooked for another "0 minutes" - i.e., I brought up to pressure then turned off).

I sauteed on a cast iron pan most of an Anaheim pepper cut into maybe 1/4" x 1/2" strips, along with maybe 1T of leek, cut into approximately 1/4" squares. Along with a bit of Meyer lemon juice and salt, I mixed the pepper and leek into the corn and served.
Results

The main course was good; I wish that I had had more edamame on hand to make more of the dish. The fermented vegetables were quite sour and would be better served mixed with something like perhaps a grain or atop a burger. The corn was good but I liked the stronger pepper that was also more charred from yesterday.

Ideas for the future

I should come up with some more ways to serve the fermented vegetables, such as with a grain, maybe with potatoes, and/or with a burger or something like seitan.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home