Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Jimmy Nardellos Peppers with Tempeh and Mushroom, Guacamole with Greens atop Thin German Bread (No Added Fat)

I picked up some nice looking Jimmy Nardellos peppers at the farmers' market today. I hadn't seen these before but read that they saute well. Here is what I made.


Ingredients
  • 8 ounces tempeh cut into thin (app. 1/4" thick) 3/4" squares
  • About 10 Jimmy Nardellos peppers, rinsed but with stems intact
  • 1 t onion, chopped into 1/4" cubes
  • 3 ounces mushroom cut into 1/4" or so slices (I used frozen but either fresh or frozen would be fine)
  • 1 clove garlic, finely (1/8") chopped
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 t lemon or lime juice
Process
  1. I sauteed the tempeh in a cast iron pan that I had put a few drops of oil onto then wiped clean first to leave a small oil residue. I sauteed for maybe 10 minutes on medium - medium-high heat, turning occasionally, till brown, adding the onion and mushroom about halfway through.
  2. In another cast iron pan similarly prepared, I sauteed the peppers on medium heat, stirring occasionally, till all peppers had a bit of blackening, about 10 minutes, adding the garlic about halfway through.
  3. I mixed the contents of the two pans together, along with the salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
My daughter came up with a good recipe from Ruby Roth's Help Yourself Cookbook for Kids that called for making guacamole (I just mix avocado, lime juice, onion, garlic, and, when I have it, rosemary - I used oregano instead today), then mixing in greens including kale. We did that, along with purple cabbage, and served atop heated thin German bread.
Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home