Monday, July 24, 2017

Baby Lima Beans with Roasted Pepper (No Added Fat)

I wasn't sure what to make tonight, but thought I'd try a waterless bean dish. My brother-in-law seems to be enjoying our meals, but was away tonight visiting a family friend.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1 cup fennel root cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1/4 cup celery cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen black eyed peas (alas, I was out - so I used frozen baby lima beans)
  • 2 small bell peppers, flame roasted, then cut into 1/2" squares (about a cup)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t fresh ground black pepper
Process
  1. I put, in this order, the onion, fennel, celery, lima beans, and bell pepper into a large Saladmaster stock pan. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 20 minutes.
  2. I mixed in salt and pepper and served, along with crusty seeded bread topped with heirloom tomato, and peas in a pod.
Results

The main course was a little disappointing - we all ate it and nobody complained, but it could have had more flavor. Black eyed peas would have been good with this dish.

Ideas for the future

I should try this again with black eyed peas, as well as a sauce or just more vegetables.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home