Friday, September 29, 2017

Red Split Pea Dhal with Brown Rice (No Added Fat)

I decided to make a thick dhal with red split lentils. These lentils are prepared in a ratio of one part to 2 - 2 1/2 parts water pressure cooked for 13-18 minutes. I wanted it to be thick, so I went with a 1:2 ratio for the full 18 minutes. Here is what I did.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup red split lentils
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups eggplant cut into 3/8" cubes (maybe 2/3 of a medium eggplant)
  • 2/3 cup fennel root cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1 1/3 cup carrot (one large carrot) cut into 3/8" lengths
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely (1/8") chopped 18m
  • 2t baby ginger, finely (1/8") diced (or 1t regular ginger)
  • 3/4 t ground cumin
  • 1T lemon or lime juice
  • 1/2 t salt
Process
  1. I put the lentils, water, eggplant, fennel, carrot, garlic, ginger, and cumin into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 18 minutes.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the salt and lemon juice.
I served the dhal with brown rice (which I cooked in a 1:2 ratio with water and a vegan bouillon cube, simmered for 45 minutes, just like I always do).
Results

I loved the meal! The eggplant, as I've found in the past, didn't add much flavor, but I did like the subtle taste and texture that it contributed. I had forgotten to add onion at the end, but it turned out to be fine. I would have included a little turmeric but we're out. My wife has returned from her trip! She didn't like the dhal as much as my daughter and I did, and wanted more flavor, so added some hot sauce.

Ideas for the future

I rarely find that I use too little water, but this time there was a little sticking in the pan. I think that I slightly under-measured the water; in any case, I should next time try maybe 2 1/4 parts water to 1 part lentils. Additional vegetables like greens would have been good. I've been wanting to cook olives with a lentil dish like dhal, and should try that sometime soon.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home