I had to put together dinner quickly. I came up with the idea of slicing sweet potato so it would cook quickly and making a simple sweet potato and seitan dish. I wanted the sweet potato to be firm so cooked bell pepper with it so that the bell pepper would have a contrasting soft texture.
- Medium sweet potato cut into sticks maybe 1 1/2" long by maybe 3/8" square (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly (1/8" - 1/4") chopped
- Half medium bell pepper cut into thick slices approx. 1" x 3/8" (about a cup)
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 ounces of seitan (in any form desired - thick or thin slices, cubes, etc.; I used maybe 3/4" cubes)
- 1/2 t lemon pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 t fresh oregano
- I put the sweet potato, garlic, bell pepper, and water into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 9m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the seitan, lemon pepper, salt, and oregano.
Dinner was good. Surprisingly, even the nine minutes was too long of a cook time; the sweet potatoes tasted fine but were soft. I liked the cooked bell pepper. It was nice to have a dish full of flavor with just a few ingredients.
Ideas for the future
I should try cooking cut sweet potato periodically. I'll bet with a cut like I had today that I could cook in 6 or 7 minutes - or even less.
Labels: Instant Pot, No Added Fat, seitan