Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Lemon Seitan with Garlic

I made a simple but tasty (I think it was one of my best dinners in a few weeks) dish, reminiscent of the ways that I prepare limed jerk seitan. I didn't have much time to marinate seitan, so instead did this.

I took about a dozen small Austrian Crescent fingerling potatoes, cut them in half lengthwise, and boiled them until they were still firm but cooked through (maybe 6 minutes). I started sauteeing in a lemon-infused extra virgin olive oil, over medium heat, two cloves of garlic, thinly sliced. Just a minute or so later, I added thin pieces of seitan (I used the whole 8 ounce box). I cooked for maybe 8-10 minutes till the seitan was crispy.

About two minutes before the conclusion of the saute, I drizzled 8 or 10 drops of fresh lemon juice over the seitan. Then I decided to try something with a fifth of a lemon that I had left after squeezing juice out - I cut the lemon skin into 3 or 4 large chunks and added to the saute, pressing down on the inside side, and then cooking with the skin side down. At that time, I also added a dozen or so pine nuts.

I served the seitan with a little jerk seasoning, salt, and dried oregano. My daughter makes fresh bread rolls in her preschool every Wednesday, and I served today's roll with our meal. An avocado completed dinner. The main course was yummy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home