Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tempeh and Sweet Dumpling Squash over Tricolor Quinoa, Broiled Belgian Endive

I made a simple meal that my wife loved tonight. I had half of a baked sweet dumpling squash leftover from a few days ago. I sauteed half of a package of tempeh, cut into cubes, adding a diced medium shallot a few minutes into the cooking, and the cubed squash a few minutes after that. When the tempeh was nicely browning after maybe 5-6 minutes or so, I added a fifth of a bell pepper cut into small pieces.

About two minutes later, I removed the mixture to a bowl, mixed in a little salt, dried tarragon, and a tablespoon or two of a Key West Mojo Criollo marinade. I kept it warm in the toaster oven till I served.

In the meantime, I prepared tricolor quinoa - it's so easy to cook this nutritious "perfect" food whose nutritional composition matches exactly what we need. I put in a measure (in this case cooking for two and a little extra for my daughter's lunch tomorrow, about 2/3 of a yogurt cup) of quinoa and twice that much water into a sauce pan, along with a vegan bouillon cube, brought to a boil, and simmered for 3 or 4 minutes, covered. I turned off the heat and let the quinoa continue to cook and absorb liquid till little liquid was left and the quinoa had the characteristic spiral shape. I served the tempeh and squash mixture atop the quinoa.

Similarly to what I did in March 2009,  I also broiled Belgian endives. I took two endives, cut them lengthwise into thirds, and lay the endive pieces on a plate. I chopped into long pieces a small shallot, and arranged pieces atop the endives, then sprinkled a little garlic-flavored extra virgin olive oil on top and broiled in a toaster oven for about 3 or 4 minutes till the endives browned a bit. I served with a little dried oregano, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home