Thursday, September 08, 2011

Delicata Squash with Persian Lime Vegan Sausage, Fingerling Potatoes, and Sweet Potato

Our online farmer's market, Papa Spud's, delivered several delicata squashes and a few large sweet potatoes, so I got the temptation to bake them. I did just that in a 350°F oven, and threw in a few fingerling potatoes, as well. I baked the squash cut in half with the flesh face down in a plate with a little water. The small potatoes and squash were done in about 40 minutes, and the sweet potato took about an hour.

I also cooked a stuffing for the squash by sauteeing, in Persian lime infused extra virgin olive oil, two vegan apple-sage sausages cut into 3/8" slices and then quartered and a shallot. When the onion was just carmelizing and the sausage was browned, I added a dozen or so baby spinach leaves and about a quarter cup of eggplant marinara sauce. After a few minutes when the spinach had cooked down, I added some fresh lemon sage from the garden, freshly ground black pepper, and a pinch of salt.

We enjoyed the meal! I used a version of what I made to put together my daughter's lunchbox and hope she'll enjoy her lunch tomorrow. Oh, in her school, the children bake bread every Wednesday - that's her bread in the plate. It is a nice and slightly sweet bread.

2 Comments:

At Thu Sep 08, 04:23:00 PM EDT, Blogger Kathy Hester (GeekyPoet) said...

That sounds great. I have 2 delicata squashes that aren't long for this world. I think you just saved them from my compost pile!

 
At Sat Sep 10, 03:25:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks so much, Kathy! I hope that your dish comes out well! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home