Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tempeh Saute with Raw Cherry Tomato Halves over Brown Rice Noodles, Corn-off-the-Cob with Lime Juice

I have wanted for years to serve very lightly sauteed vegetables (just a few, perhaps only tomatoes) over pasta. Tonight, I made a dish inspired by that thought - but still have to make the original dish idea.

  1. I sliced half of a medium yellow onion into thin 3/8" thick half moons and began sauteeing over medium-high heat
  2. I took two large handfuls of brown rice noodles and let them soak in a large bowl of very hot tap water
  3. I cut up a bit more than half of a container of tempeh into thick matchsticks, perhaps 1 1/4" long by 1/2" square, and started sauteeing them once the onion started getting clear, maybe in 3-4 minutes
  4. I let the onion and tempeh cook for maybe 7-10 minutes till the tempeh was medium-brown, then added half of a bell pepper cut into thin strips maybe 3/4" long, as well as a medium clove of finely chopped garlic
  5. After a few more minutes when the tempeh was golden brown, I drizzled on a little vinegar-based hot sauce and maybe 2-3T of raw coconut aminos (giving a soy-sauce like flavor); I turned the heat off and stirred, letting the liquid sizzle and get cooked into the food
In the meantime, I drained and did a quick boil of the noodles, and served the tempeh saute atop the noodles, with raw halved cherry tomatoes on top of it all. I had wanted to put some toasted sesame seeds at the periphery of the noodles, but we were out.

I also flame-roasted two ears of organic corn, stripped the kernels, and served with a few drops of fresh lime juice, a dash of salt, and about a tablespoonful of Earth Balance non-hydrogenated margarine. Avocado slices completed the meal. My wife and I loved the pasta!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home