Monday, August 15, 2011

Kale with Cabbage and Seitan, Roasted Eggplant with Tahini, Madagascar Pink Rice

I had a bunch of kale and about a third of a cabbage that I wanted to use up. I first cut up a package of seitan into matchsticks and began sauteeing over medium-high heat in Meyer lemon-infused extra virgin olive oil. I let it cook till the seitan was nice and crispy, maybe 10-12 minutes.

As the seitan cooked, I finely chopped the kale stems and began boiling them. After about five minutes, I added the kale leaves, hand torn to roughly 3/4" squares, and the cabbage, chopped into approximately 1/2" x 1 1/4" strips.

I cooked for just 2 or 3 minutes till the kale was darker in color and the cabbage softened a bit. I added several pickled red peppers, coarsely chopped, and briefly toasted pine nuts, and mixed in a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.

I also put a little bit of olive oil on both sides of thickly (maybe 1/2" or 5/8" thick) cut eggplant and roasted in my toaster oven over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, till cooked. I served the eggplant with some tahini and hot sauce. Dinner was good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home