Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cubed Tempeh with Asparagus and Raw Grape Tomatoes, Rosemary-Shallot Mashed Potatoes

I wanted to use up about ten spears of asparagus that I had, and had the idea of integrating raw tomatoes in a cooked meal. Here is what I did:
  1. I chopped 2/3 of a package of tempeh into 3/4" cubes and began sauteeing them over medium-high heat in a combination of Meyer lemon-infused and plain extra virgin olive oil
  2. As the tempeh browned over maybe 5 minutes, I added about ten spears of asparagus, cut into small 1/4" slices, and one clove of garlic, finely diced
  3. I didn't cook the asparagus or garlic long, just 2 or 3 minutes till the green color intensified
  4. I added about 3/4 teaspoon diced fresh ginger and cooked another minute or so to leave the ginger juicy
  5. I removed from the heat and mixed in perhaps 20 small lemon sage leaves, a few drops of fresh lime, a pinch of salt and just a bit of salt-free jerk seasoning, and about a dozen small grape tomatoes, cut into halves.
Dinner also included mashed potatoes with more rosemary needles than I thought would be good (maybe 18), but which turned out well, as well as a small shallot, thinly cut. We enjoyed the meal! I would like to explore more combining raw tomatoes with cooked ingredients, such as perhaps with pasta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home