Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Sauteed Kale with Onion and Roasted Garlic, Grilled Bread with Tomato, Leftover Vegan Sausage Mélange

I wanted to use up a head of kale, and found a simple recipe online for sauteed kale, which I used as the basis of what I did. That recipe calls for coarsely chopping a pound and a half of young kale (stems and leaves). Two cloves of garlic are briefly sauteed in a stock pan until soft but not brown, then the kale and a half cup of vegetable stock is added and mixed together. It is cooked, covered, for five minutes, then the cover is removed and cooking continues, with stirring, till the liquid is gone. A little salt and pepper, and two tablespoons of red wine vinegar, are suggested, as well.

I started with maybe an eighth of a medium onion, coarsely chopped; as the onion cleared in color, I added maybe six cloves of roasted garlic and a few pinches of cumin seed, cooked for maybe 20 seconds, then added the stock and kale, and followed the instructions up to but not including seasoning. I did add salt and pepper, as well as a little dried oregano, but didn't use any vinegar. It was good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home