Friday, March 20, 2009

Radicchio, Radicchio Pasta with Roasted Tomato, Vegan Apple Sage Sausage

My father-in-law noticed pretty radicchio when he was shopping with my wife a few days back, and after calling me to ask about it, they picked up two heads. Of course, it is a rather bitter leafy vegetable, and I've only really eaten it as small pieces within a salad mix. I've found some recipes for cooked radicchio, which I'm likely to try.

For today, I was really struck by the beauty of the intact leaves. To cut the bitterness, I sprinkled some lemon juice on the bare leaves, and also plunked down a dollop of guacamole, as well as a briefly boiled broccoli crown.

I recently picked up an interesting pasta made with radicchio called Bigoli Nobili, a special Venetian pasta dating back to the year 1400. I cooked it and then mixed in some olive oil, roasted tomatoes, and red onion. It was good and had a subtle flavor of radicchio. A grilled vegan Field Roast Grain Meat Company apple-sage artisanal vegan sausage completed the meal.

My usual Thursday night photography series is now Wednesday night for this six-week session. Last night, a student and his wife joined us for a southwestern meal at Margaret's Cantina, where I enjoyed three enchiladas - one with spinach, one with tempeh, and one with a vegetable mixture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home