Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Curried Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes, Lentils over Brown Rice

My father-in-law saw me starting to work with Brussels sprouts today, and said that he had tried this, to him, unfamiliar vegetable recently at the Whole Foods hot bar and did not like it. He at first cautioned me to go light with it, but then kindly said that if I were preparing it, it was going to come out well!

I didn't betray that too-generous trust, and was delighted that he enjoyed the meal that I created. I cut some Russian fingerling potatoes into approximately 3/4" chunks and started sauteeing them. A few minutes later, as the potatoes were getting cooked, I added about a third of a medium red onion, cut into thin half-moons, as well as a medium jalapeno pepper, sliced into 1/4" thicknesses. A minute later, I added about a half dozen Brussels sprouts, cut into halves or, for bigger ones, thirds.

I let this assemblage cook for about five more minutes till the potatoes started browning. I added a little salt, a pinch or two of turmeric, about as much cumin seeds, and a pinch of red chili powder. I continued the saute for a half minute or so to let the cumin toast a bit, then added about an eighth of a cup of water to soften the potatoes and let the turmeric set into the vegetables.

For Saturday's potluck, my wife had made some lentils, and we had a lot leftover. I heated the lentils and served them over some brown rice that I had cooked with a vegan bouillon cube. Heirloom tomato completed the meal, which turned out well.

Tomorrow we won't be eating at home; I have a new set of six photography classes starting. This class is normally on Thursdays, but I am trying Wednesdays to catch folks who perhaps want to take the class but can't make Thursday evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home