Friday, December 26, 2008

Conchiglie Pasta with Pesto alla Trapanese and Vegan Apple-Sage Sausage, Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Onions

Last September, I described Pesto alla Trapanese, a Sicilian pesto made with tomatoes, oil, almond, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper, which I can sometimes find sold in small 200g bottles from a Sicilian company, Antichi Sapori di Sicilia. Tonight, I used most of a bottle, mixed with some chunky olives and sweet peppers, to make a nice pasta meal.

I had some prepared Brussels sprouts with balsamic onion from Whole Foods Market (ingredients: sprouts, onions, balsamic vinegar, canola oil, parsley, and salt and pepper - I should make something like this) and started that heating in the toaster oven over low heat. I cut up some olives and sweet peppers into big chunks and added to most of a bottle of the pesto sauce, and also got that warming up.

I started water boiling in a large pot then reduced the heat while I added seashell-shaped "conchiglie" organic pasta made at the Montebello Monastery in Marche, Italy. I then turned the heat back up and cooked till al dente, about 9-10 minutes. I served with the warmed sauce, as well as with a Field Roast Grain Meat Company apple-sage artisanal vegan sausage.

2 Comments:

At Sat Dec 27, 10:13:00 PM EST, Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Your wife is SOOO lucky to have her suppers prepared for her at a time like this. Newborns are such an adjustment for the whole family.
Be patient(and it sounds like you are!). There will be many, many, many days that supper will have to wait... and wait... and wait...
I have to admit to about a year of microwave dinners when my first child was born!!
Oh, and Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage are my most favorite vegetarian "meat" EVERRRRR! Yum!

 
At Sun Dec 28, 04:13:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Tofu Mom, for your kind comment. I can't imagine how Moms handle newborns if they are also expected to cook and clean! My wife's job right now is solely to feed the baby. How have you been? Happy 2009! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home