Thursday, December 18, 2008

Golden Beets with Tempeh, Mashed Potatoes with Flame-Roasted Anaheim Pepper, Steamed Green Bean

Tonight, I prepared another vegetable that was recommended for lactation yesterday, beets. I prefer working with baby golden beets over red ones, as they don't stain as copiously - I hope that they are as good for the blood as red ones. I steamed six baby beets, after removing the thin root ends, that I purchased loose, without greens (alas, as beet greens are supposed to have have more nutrition than the roots!), for about 25 minutes; in hindsight, they could have used 5-10 minutes more time. I also included green beans in the steamer - 25 minutes were fine.

I put the beets under cold running water then cut off a half inch or so from the thick end. I attempted to use my hands to peel off the skin but ended up having to use a peeler to complete the job. The beets weren't quite done, but that worked out okay as I had a saute of thinly cut tempeh and most of half of an onion going. Reserving three of the baby beets for an upcoming dinner, I cut the other three beets longitudinally into eights or tenths, and added them to the saute for about 5 minutes, adding a tablespoonful or so of fresh rosemary needles a minute or two after the beets. I served with a little salt, and served the beans with lemon juice and salt.

I had the idea to serve mashed potatoes with flame-roasted Anaheim peppers. I roasted two peppers, simply by charring over the open gas flame till they were more or less black, then put them in a brown paper bag. I crumbled the bag close and let it sit while I was preparing the rest of the dinner to let the smoky flavor embed itself into the pepper's flesh. I then ran the peppers under cold water, stroking them with my hands to let the black char slip away. I cut off the stem end and removed the seeds. Thankfully I then sampled - these Anaheims, usually mild, were hot! I used just one and mixed it, as well as olive oil and salt, into mashed potatoes. I loved it, but my wife found the potatoes too hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home