Monday, December 15, 2008

Butternut Squash with Seitan and Rice Noodles

I made my first solo shopping trip, leaving baby and Mom behind, yesterday, and enjoyed buying a new compost bin that has charcoal filtration for smell and looks like a nice pottery piece that can sit on the counter. But the bigger news is that Whole Foods in Chapel Hill had just a few days ago opened up new construction and the produce department is now huge - disorientingly so!

One item they had, which they often don't, is cut up squash. I purchased some of the chopped butternut squash and used about half of it in today's meal. I started sauteeing half of a red salad onion, chopped to approximately 1/4" or slightly larger cubes. Two minutes or so later, as the onion started getting a bit clear, I added a box of seitan, chopped into medium chunks, as well as the large chunks of squash.

I continued cooking for another 12-15 minutes or so over medium heat, stirring occasionally and watching the squash cook and become deeper in color. Once the squash was cooked, I added maybe a tablespoonful of fresh rosemary needles, a little salt, maybe a teaspoon of jerk seasoning, and about a half teaspoonful of fenugreek, useful for a mother's lactation (I added it for that reason; it didn't add much to the flavor of the dish), and some rice noodles that I had soaked for about 5 minutes in hot tap water. I stirred everything together, then added a few tablespoonfuls of Baja lime marinade. After a final stir, I served the dish a minute later - it was tasty!!

On Friday, some friends brought over a nice meal for us of stuffed Indian parathas, tabouleh, and excellent fresh fruit. That same day, another friend also dropped a meal off, which we heated up yesterday. That friend is from the Gujarat region of India and is an excellent cook - we think she should open a catering business or restaurant. She had an amazing curried potato dish, as well as khamman dhokla.

9 Comments:

At Mon Dec 15, 05:02:00 AM EST, Blogger Alicia said...

You sure have great friends if they come to drop off food at your place! It must be very useful when you're busy taking care of a baby!

 
At Mon Dec 15, 06:11:00 AM EST, Blogger VeganCowGirl said...

Looks great! Excellent to find your blog - I am a vegan expecting mom! Really helpful info about the fenugreek! Your squash looks uber yummy!

 
At Mon Dec 15, 06:52:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for your comment, Alice - good to see you here. Yes, we're lucky to have such good friends! Best wishes! --Dilip

 
At Mon Dec 15, 06:53:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Hi VeganCowGirl - I'm so glad that you found my blog. Congratulations on your pregnancy!! Let me know if I can help with any thing, and do keep in touch about the course of your pregnancy! --Dilip

 
At Mon Dec 15, 08:44:00 PM EST, Blogger Lazer said...

I just googled "butternut squash seitan" and i found your blog. i'm going to cook that right now for my girlfriend!! what a coincidence you posting this and me needing to cook this. i don't have rice noodles, but might just make rice. thanks awesome lady!!!

 
At Mon Dec 15, 08:46:00 PM EST, Blogger Lazer said...

Woops, I meant to say "Thanks awesome guy!"

 
At Tue Dec 16, 03:52:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Lazer, what a coincidence! I'm glad that you found my blog. How did your dish come out?

 
At Tue Dec 16, 09:29:00 AM EST, Blogger Lazer said...

Oh man, dish turned out great! I didn't have any rosemary so I decided to melt about 3 tblspoons of butter, about a 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 2 dashes of soy sauce. I threw that concoction in along with cooked rice and cooked everything together for another 2 minutes or so. Turned out deeelish, and now I have a great lunch for today!

 
At Tue Dec 30, 01:29:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

That's great to hear! Thanks for posting your results, Lazer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home