Wednesday, January 09, 2008

January Grillling: Seitan-Potato Kabobs

The weather has been surprisingly warm the last few days, warm enough, even reaching in to the 70s (°s F), to bicycle in shorts and t-shirt! I couldn't resist using the grill today. I have only grilled a few times before, this past August and then shortly later in early September.

I grilled kabobs similarly to what I did in August, with about half a dozen Austrian fingerling potatoes, half of a medium-large red onion, and a full container of seitan. I marinated these ingredients, as well as asparagus, in Floribbean Foods' Key Lime Savory Oil, for about a half hour. I let the kabobs cook for about a half hour before flipping them over and adding asparagus spears.

I'm delighted that the food editor of our local Independent newspaper is running a story on vegetarian restaurants and had set up a phone interview with me (I'll add a link when the story runs in early February), so I took her call then. I wanted to let the grilling go on for another 20 minutes, but the call took a little longer, and the grilling went on another 40 minutes. The time was about right for the potatoes and not bad for the onions; the seitan was still good, but I would have liked it to be a little less tough. So, I might recommend grilling potatoes (even cut in half like I did) separately for about 60-70 minutes, flipping and basting approximately halfway, and seitan and onion for about 45-50 minutes, again flipping and basting halfway. To reduce heat loss, it would be best to simply get the potatoes cooking at time T, put in the other ingredients on their own skewers at T+20 minutes, flipping and basting it all at T+40 minutes, and serving at T+60 or T+70 minutes.

Dinner was good. We had the kabobs with quinoa, along with the asparagus.

2 Comments:

At Thu Jan 10, 08:52:00 AM EST, Blogger moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

Looking yummy! I can never get enough of potatoes.

In montreal as well, its pretty warm. January is supposed to be one of the coldest months!

 
At Thu Jan 10, 01:59:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Candice, for your comment. It's been years since I've been to Montreal - other than Le Commensal, are there lots of good places to enjoy plant-based foods? Happy 2008!

--Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home