Thursday, December 27, 2007

Thai Green Curry with Seitan, Ruby Red Jasmine Rice, Walnut Oil-Grilled Asparagus

I made a curried seitan and vegetable dish today. To save time, I used Thai Kitchen brand prepared green curry paste, rather than using a mortar and pestle to blend together the ingredients like ginger (though I added a little coarsely chopped fresh ginger, as well) and hot chili pepper.

Into a sauce pan, I poured a small (14 ounce) can of reduced fat coconut milk (I never buy the full-fat milk and find the reduced fat has pretty much the same flavor), six teaspoons of the curry paste, and a package of seitan that I had chunked into bite size. I brought it all to a near-boil then simmered, uncovered, gradually adding a sliced zucchini, half of an onion coarsely cubed, and a sliced red bell pepper, plus a little fresh ginger and a little salt. At the end, I also mixed in some pink peppercorns.

I had meant to serve it in a bowl of rice, using up the leftover Surin ruby red jasmine rice from class last week, but decided to serve the liquidy curried vegetables and seitan in a bowl. I also briefly grilled asparagus in walnut oil and served it with salt and pepper.

3 Comments:

At Mon Feb 04, 11:53:00 AM EST, Blogger Juju said...

What a nice surprise! I am going to run to the thai market nearby because I had been planning to make seitan in a green thai curry sauce for dinner tonight. On impulse, I googled some of the ingredients, which led me to your blog. You have many great ideas here!

 
At Tue Feb 05, 04:07:00 PM EST, Blogger Juju said...

Okay, so my seitan and red peppers in thai green curry sauce turned out delicious. I think next time I will add some straw mushrooms, which will complement the texture of the seitan well.

Just one comment, or perhaps a caveat - I noticed on the package of the green curry paste that I bought that it contains shrimp paste. Perhaps you bought a vegan version. I could imagine a dark miso would substitute nicely for the shrimp paste if you were to grind up your own wet spice paste for this dish.

 
At Tue Feb 05, 05:15:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for your comments, Elizabeth! I'm glad that you found my blog and that it has proven useful to you. The mushrooms sound good.

I did indeed carefully check the label of the paste, as adding sea ingredients is relatively common in Thai cuisine. My paste was vegan. One can make the paste from scratch, as well, as we do in my cooking classes. Do visit again! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home