Friday, December 14, 2007

Cooking class: Indian

Tonight was already the penultimate class 5 of my 6-week cooking class - how time flies! We had a few folks out last time but had a full kitchen of all nine students tonight plus me (I normally cap the course at 8, but had a couple who really wanted to take it together, so allowed one extra) for Indian cooking.

My students made a tasty meal of bhindhi (okra), curried mushrooms, masala hurry mutther pulau (rice and green pea pilaf), palaak tamatar (pureed spinach and tomato), Nanaji's favorite tomato salad (my maternal grandfather's delicious favorite, tomato simply served diced with roasted ground cumin and kala namak - black salt which is actually pink in color), mango shake (we made it tonight with vanilla hemp milk as the base - creamy and good), chai (also with hemp milk), and two types (one with walnuts, one without) of chocolate tofu pies. I used to teach this class years ago in Raleigh and it was then two weeks longer. I have never been fond of Indian sweets, so in this shorter class, bring in American desserts to the Indian class (the eight week class has units on American and Loaves/Tempeh). We also heated Indian naan bread. The food turned out very well, especially the salad and mushrooms.

2 Comments:

At Mon Dec 17, 12:36:00 AM EST, Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Thanks for your thoughts and kind comments on our recent floods...

I LOVE the idea of the tomato salad with black salt. I use black salt in my tofu scramble (to make it taste more "eggy") but I have never found any other use for it that I cared for... I'm definitely going to try this however, it sounds quite tasty. All we have around here are sad, watery, winter green-house-grown tomatoes though... is it worth making the salad with these?

As always, your dinners inspire me.

 
At Tue Dec 18, 10:41:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, tofu mom, for your kind words. The tomato salad comes out best if the tomatoes are firm, but do try it with what you have. How are things going with your parents and the flooding?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home