Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Braised Cabbage, Jerk Tempeh, Corn off the Cob

I had most of a cabbage half to use and found my blogger friend Kaji's Mom in Ohio had a nice, simple braised cabbage recipe posted from The Complete Vegan Cookbook. I modified it a bit; I know that the flavor of red cabbage, as opposed to that of most other kinds of cabbage, benefits from slow cooking.


I cut up a small-medium onion into maybe 1/4" cubes and sauteed in a little Mongolian Fire Oil in

a large sauce pan. As the onion softened and started to clarify, I added about 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them cook briefly, for about 30 seconds. I then added 1/2 cup of water, the cabbage that I had thinly (1/4"-1/2" x 1 1/2" strips maybe) sliced and which amounted to perhaps 2 cups, 1/2 teaspoon of dried tarragon (an herb I had not cooked with before - I liked its anise flavor and will experiment more with it!), and a little salt. I just barely brought the water to a boil, then reduced the heat to low-medium and let the cabbage simmer for about a half hour, covered.

I also served sauteed (in the Fire Oil) tempeh that I then coated with jerk seasoning. I grilled on the gas range flame three ears of corn, stripped the kernels, and mixed in both lime and lemon juice, plus salt and a little leftover jerk seasoning. It was a good dinner - the cabbage was soft but still a little crispy and had a good flavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home